Saturday, January 3, 2009

Encourage Me!

Currently Listening To: Nickel Creek "When You Come Back Down"
Currently Reading: The Luxe

I've started an intensive rewrite of my first chapter, and it's giving me a lot of trouble this time around. I've now been sitting in front of my computer typing for 7 hours, during which I've managed to type 3 pages (at least 3 that I'm satisfied with). It's possibly the most frustrated I've ever been with my novel. I love Imogene (my mc), now if she'd only do something interesting!

I finished Nefertiti yesterday and found it merely readable. My main issue with it was the passage of time. Years go by in a few pages, and I felt cheated. I wanted to know what happened in the years the author breezed over so often. Another little irritant was that Nefertiti seemed to be nothing more than (excuse the coarse wording) a breeding mare. She has six children and as such is always either pregnant, or about to become pregnant...

I'm only two pages into The Luxe, so it's impossible to judge it at this moment, but I'll be sure to post what I think of it.

4 comments:

Jill Wheeler said...

Is this your new WiP, or are you reworking your other book to submit?

Either way, good luck!

Maggie said...

Jill, it's my old novel... I need it to be perfect. To be honest the rejection is starting to smart a bit. Thanks for the good wishes!

cindy said...

good luck, maggie! totally rootin' for you!i enjoyed nefertiti. the only issue i had was that the ending seemed a bit abrupt? maybe that was the same feeling you had with time compression?

can't wait to see what you think about the luxe.

Jewel Allen said...

I recently revised my first 50 pages and am requerying. It was hard, but worth it. Even if no one picks it up at least I know I put out my best work.

But it was getting to the point when I was getting cross-eyed. :-)

Good luck. You're almost there!