Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Book Review (While I'm Waiting)

Currently Reading: A Countess Below Stairs
Currently Watching: "Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part 2"

I'm still waiting to hear from the agency. I've learned through the grapevine that the agents are currently reading our stuff, and that they'll get back to us next week. So I've had another weekend of trying not to think about it.



I finished Sovay. It was very readable, and entertaining but there were a few things about it that bothered me. Sovay had 5 potential love interests (who all thought she was gorgeous and wanted her), and it wasn't clear who she was interested in until the last 50 pages. Another thing that bothered me is that in the middle of this very non-gothic novel is a section of about 80 pages that drip with gothic horror. I absolutely love gothic novels, but in this book the descriptions just felt ridiculous. It seemed like I'd picked up The Mysteries of Udolpho again. That's just my opinion. You might feel differently. It really is worth reading though. I think the last 100 pages were wonderful.

I'll let you know what I think about A Countess Below Stairs when I finish it.

I finally got my region free dvd player!!!! Hurray!!! British DVDs here I come!

I'm on vacation this week and I think I might finish my revisions this week! I have to say that even after all these revisions I still love my characters. That's probably a good thing ;) . Keep me in your prayers!

2 comments:

cindy said...

hope you hear soon, maggie! thanks for the book review. did you ever finish midnight never come?

Maggie said...

I hope so too Cindy! No I didn't finish Midnight Never Come. I was really bored with it, and I had some other books on my shelf waiting to be read. I think that I should hear from the agency in the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed for me!