Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oh, The Joy Of Reading!

If you have the time READ THIS BOOK!!! I was very engrossed in this novel. Anna is a Russian Countess forced to flee her home country during the revolution. She ends up in England, and takes a position as a lowly maid in the home of an Earl. She quickly falls in love with him, as well as her surroundings. But the Earl is already engaged to a wealthy, beautiful, and evil woman. The characters are well drawn, and the plot is comfortably paced (not too fast, not too slow). Oh and did I mention the compelling romance?

Well because I loved A Countess Below Stairs so much I immediately went out and purchased A Company of Swans. That was a very smart decision. It was just as good if not better. Harriet is a repressed young girl in turn of the century England. She runs from her cold father and aunt to join a company of dancers who are traveling to the Amazon to perform. She meets the man of her dreams, but doesn't know that her father has sent someone to bring her back, whether she wants to or not. Both of these novels were significantly more entertaining than Sovay. I can't wait to read the rest of Eva's novels!!!
There was a huge power outage here in Cincinnati while I was on vacation, so unfortunately I was unable to finish my novel. But I will finish it within the next month!

2 comments:

cindy said...

thanks for the book reviews, maggie! i tagged you for a me me this past weekend. are you gonna play?? =)

Maggie said...

lol what's a me me? Sure I'll play anything ;)